Background

Friday, April 30, 2010

Back to Work

This Friday marks the end of my first full week of school. I went back to work last Friday (the 23rd) and have been hard at it ever since. The transition has gone pretty well, but free time is at a bare minimum these days as you can probably tell from my lack of posts this past week! Here are my thoughts....


What's gone really well...
Grace is doing fantastic with her various babysitters. She doesn't seem to have a problem napping no matter where she is or who she's with. This is not only amazing on her part, but it also makes it a lot easier for me to leave for work with one less stress. Olivia has also been pretty cooperative in the morning about getting ready and leaving with either Brian or me. One day this week though Brian made the mistake of saying to Gracie, "Are you ready to go to Grandma's?" Olivia heard and was majorly pumped up all excited to go to Bapa's house. We quickly changed our story and explained that Gracie had to go to the doctor's to get a shot. Olivia accepted that pretty quick - thank goodness - she knows what shots are and clearly wasn't interested in going anywhere she might get one!

What's gone okay...
It's been challenging getting ready in the morning. I've been getting up at 5:45 which can be a chore depending on what Grace did for the night. More nights than not, Grace has slept till about 5:00. While this is fantastic, it's also difficult because it means that my day starts off pretty early. Despite this, I always seem to be rushing around trying to get everything and myself out the door by 7:30. I did pretty well going to bed at a reasonable time at the beginning of the week, but this unfortunately didn't continue for the later half. I need to do a better job with this for everyone's sake - mine, my family's, and my student's!


What I like...
I admit that I do like knowing that my students missed me and are glad that I'm back - makes me feel appreciated. I also do like being challenged at work getting plans and activities ready. I'm teaching one of my favorite novels - The Great Gatsby - which helps the enjoyment level too.

What's been difficult...
Of course, it's been difficult to leave Grace. However, I do think this was easier the second time around and because I'm leaving her with Brian or another relative.... Going from being home with her to daycare would have been more of a challenge I think because I wouldn't feel so good about how much one-on-one attention she'd be getting. (Don't get me wrong though - I love our daycare!) Getting not as much sleep as I need has been difficult, but I'm dealing. It's also been a challenge pumping at work. It's hard to relax and just generally not easy when you're sitting in a storage room that's ten degrees colder than comfortable. However, I am determined I will prevail - only five more weeks until summer and then things will go back to normal. Grace is so good at nursing that it seems silly to stop just because. At school, it's been a challenge to stay on top of things. So far, I'm doing okay. I truly do enjoy getting plans and activities ready, but I certainly am not a big fan of grading - didn't miss that at all. It's difficult to not let the piles build up. I'll make it though!

So, all in all, things have gone pretty well - better than I expected at least. I am very excited for summer though and can't wait to spend more time with the girls! It will be so fun to take the girls to the pool and park and to play outside. Last summer I was dealing with some 1st trimester sickness which made it things challenging with how much Brian was gone. This summer will be a bit more "typical," and although it will be crazy busy, it will be a great time too!

1 comment:

  1. You do a great job of getting good pics of you and your kids. I need to do a better job of that with both me and Chris. We barely have any photos of us with the kids! Talk soon..glad you're doing so well back at work.

    ReplyDelete