Background

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Miss Grace - 4 1/2

Before Grace, I don't think I knew anyone to get so excited about their half-birthday!  Pretty much since the moment Grace turned 4 she was looking forward to being 4 AND a 1/2.  Little stinker!  Ironically, even though we told Grace a million times over that you don't get presents on your half-birthday because it's not really your birthday, Grace actually got to open a present...Grandma Huinker spoiled her a bit as Olivia and Mya were getting to open some birthday presents together.  :)

And, since Olivia just got a blog post and Grady gets them rather regularly, I thought it was time for a little update on our Gracie Girl.  Here goes...


Dear Miss Gracie,

You have pretty much the biggest personality ever.  And I really do mean that.  You can be an amazingly silly, sweet, and sassy girl all in the same day.  Your smile is about a mile wide...seriously, you smile and show all your teeth - I love it.  If anyone is the epitome of having "a sparkle in her eye," it's you.  And, most often that sparkle is pretty darn mischievous!  You love to tell stories, claim you're "that girl/character" in whatever show/movie we're watching or book we're reading, and use the words "poop," (I know, I know - very appropriate, right?) "eyeball," or "____" (that stands for some made up word that nobody ever understands) as much as possible.  You've gotten your audience laughing pretty hard with your weirdness which has only encouraged you to exercise your silliness even more.  Sometimes you even crack yourself up to the point where you can't talk any more because you're laughing so hard.  Might I add, that you frequently toot when you laugh, get tickled, or even bend over....thus, one of the many nicknames you possess is "Toot Machine." Maybe not the best nickname, but, I'm afraid, it's quite accurate...I do try not to encourage this behavior of course, but sometimes, it's just impossible not to laugh.  Oh well, I'm sure you'll grow out of it once you realize there are such things as social norms...at least I certainly hope that'll be true!


Speaking of nicknames - I still call you Monkey a lot, but another random one your dad and Olivia have given you is Burns (or Burnsie).  Why?  Well, Olivia had a Grace in her kindergarten class...Grace Burns.  For some reason this confused you, so we had to clarify a bunch of times, and then Dad just started calling your Grace Burns too...which lead to Burns...which lead to Burnsie.  At first you protested this nickname, and that of course only caused it to be used even more.  Now, you respond to it just like it's your actual name!  Seriously, Dad and Olivia call you this all.the.time - Aunt Beth can attest to this fact.  I'll never forget the expression on her face when she asked me, "Why is Brian calling her Burns?"  She had tears in her eyes when I explained...or tried to, that is!

What else can I say about you, Miss Grace - well, like I said earlier, you have quite the imagination.  You love playing with your dolls and dollhouse.  You'll just disappear sometimes, and I can usually count on finding you up in your room playing alone with these or your stuffed animals.  You talk to them and play out little scenarios that you take quite seriously.  I'm pretty sure you have imaginary friends that you know are imaginary...the other day you told me that your younger sister was living with her grandparents for an entire year and you really missed her.  What?  You like to play dress up a lot too - ballet clothes and princess dresses are your favorite.  Otherwise, you enjoy coloring, drawing, and writing (pretend writing that is); dancing (you take ballet and tap); playing with your brother who you consistently call "Busty" - what's with these nicknames!; bossing Olivia around as much as she'll let you...but seriously, you guys have a great relationship; and, biking, swimming, swinging/flipping, and doing the monkey bars. Your favorite movie is by far Frozen, and you sing (badly but cutely!) along to every song, insist that you're Elsa, and get mad when anyone else tries to sing or quote lines.  Your best friend is Maggie and you play a lot with Brinleigh at daycare.


Writing Maggie's name made me remember that you have some pronunciation issues...you over enunciate Maggie's last name, still call your teachers "Missen" Kane and "Missen" Bohr, say "peas" instead of "please," and often call Olivia, "Wivia."  I don't have any concerns because you can say all these words correctly but just choose not to.  You have some other funny words too - you call the driveway the "garageway" and the firetrucks the "fireplaces."  Whatever - you'll figure it out eventually.  In the meantime though, the whole family has started using the phrase "garageway."

You still take a nap every day (well almost) because you're just a happier girl with it.  I rarely have to put you down for a nap - I usually just tell you it's rest time, and you go upstairs and play for a couple of minutes before going to sleep.  Sometimes you sleep on the floor - I guess you tire yourself out using that imagination.  Nearly all the time, you sleep surrounded by stuffed animals.  You, unlike your sister can just pop out of bed rejuvenated an happy. 

You're still a bit of a peanut though you're only a few inches shorter than Olivia.  You're skin and bones, but that doesn't slow you down!  You were so determined to learn the monkey bars this year, and you did it in the first few weeks of summer.  You're also a master at pumping on the swings and doing flips off the bar.  You're a pretty fast runner, a decent dribbler, and have a wicked backhand at tennis though your forehand needs some major work!  :) 


You've been getting in trouble lately for back-talking, trying out some white lies, and not using manners - you are oftentimes 4.5 going on 14.5, and your dad and I decided we needed to get you under control.  The other day you lost your Frozen poster and you've earned it back a number of times only to loose it again later in the day.  I think I may see some light at the end of this tunnel, but I know consistency is going to be key for you because you are a tester....and didn't I mention that mischievous glint in your eye earlier?  I frequently remind myself that your stubbornness and persistence have the ability to take you great places in the future!

You're one-of-a-kind as the following picture exemplifies - do you know anyone else who would leave their house looking like that?  You wear whatever makes you happy, and while I put my foot done when it matters, I usually go with it.  I've learned that you'll listen to me better when I let the small stuff slide.  We've been to the grocery store in a ballet outfit and puffy tutu, biking in rain boots and a swimsuit, and out for walks in bridal dresses.  You also still love to be naked and have pretty much zero embarrassment in this regard.


How have 4.5 years already flown by?  I can't wait to watch you grow as you start preschool in a week!  My final thought:  You're a keeper Gracie Girl, and I couldn't be happier that you're ours!

Lots of love,
Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Tagged "Tiny Tribute" - Baojititanium
    Tagged "Tiny Tribute". Tagged หาเงินออนไลน์ "Tiny Tribute". Tagged "Tiny Tribute". Tagged "Tiny Tribute". 포커 고수 Tagged "Tiny Tribute". Tagged "Tiny Tribute". 다파벳 Tagged "Tiny Tribute". Tagged "Tiny Tribute". 1xbet Tagged "Tiny Tribute". Tagged "Tiny titanium tubing Tribute". Tagged "Tiny Tribute".

    ReplyDelete