Background

Thursday, October 20, 2016

O Canada!

Needless to say, it's been a ridiculous amount of time since I've posted a blog.  I'm determined to get caught up, and even though it means things won't be in chronological order, I thought I'd start with a recap of my trip to Canada.

When we visited the Hodens in Canada summer of 2015, I told Brian...My mom would love it here!  I was determined to take a mother-and-daughter trip in the future, and I'm happy I was able to make that a reality.  Many, many, many thanks to my sis-in-law Beth for touring us around and being an excellent addition to our group.  Our trip was amazing and filled with so many memories - I can't really express how glad I am that we were able to take it; it just was truly great.

Pictures are really the best way to sum up our days, so here they come!

Day 1 - My mom and I (and Mark) started out the day early with a trip to the YMCA for a workout.  After, we were able to get ready at a rather leisurely pace as our flight left at 11:15.  The airport was basically deserted which was nice, and I'm pretty sure my mom and I didn't stop talking for four hours as we drove up to and then sat around in the airport.  After a smooth flight and me being interrogated by the Canadian customs agent, we were greeted by Beth and Ivy and cold temperatures in Canada!  Later, I was able to pick up the kids from school and watch Max and Mya run at their cross-country meet.  We enjoyed a great dinner together too.

First flight we've taken together since I was a senior in high school!

So fun watching these two run!

So glad I got to share some cuddles and books with this cutie!

Day 2 - After the kids left for school, we got ready to make the trip to Banff.  Once again, I don't think we stopped talking the entire trip!  It was cloudy as we drove into the mountains, so initially our views were rather limited, but while we were eating a late lunch in downtown Banff, the sun made an appearance!  We hustled to get to our first destination - Sulphur Mountain.  It was an amazing hike - definitely tiring at some points but so worth the amazing views!!!  It took us an hour and forty minutes to climb up; we then spent an hour at the top (a boardwalk area where you can walk around and go to the actual summit) before taking the gondola back down.  The temperature was in the upper 30s or lower 40s - chilly in the wind, but we didn't feel the breeze much while hiking, and we were all shedding layers but the time we got to the top! We then went to the Sulphur Mountain Hot Springs and soaked in the mineral pools.  At the end of the day, my FitBit registered 293 floor climbed, 7.74 miles hiked, and 18, 271 steps.  Pretty impressive considering we also spent 3.5 hours sitting in a car!  No one was really sore after our big hike, so maybe those minerals did have some magic properties!  After hiking and our soak, we checked in at our amazing hotel - The Fairmont at Banff - it was literally a castle (in my opinion)!  We chatted over some wine and apps before grabbing a late dinner at a German Pub.  It's definitely safe to say that we all slept very well that night!




 1/2 way up Sulphur Mountain. 

 At the top!


A panoramic view from the summit.

 Sulphur Hot Springs

Day 3:  When we woke up in the morning, it was snowing!  The temperature was right around 32, and it snowed pretty much the whole day.  While this meant we couldn't see as far, it was so pretty!  We started off the morning with a quick breakfast at Tim Horton's - a Canadian classic.  Then we drove to Johnston Canyon where we were planning on hiking to the "Ink Pots" - hot springs that are a deep blue/green because of the stone/minerals.  However, when we got there, we discovered the trail was closed for maintenance.  We didn't want to go to Moraine Lake because of bear warnings, so we decided to go to Lake Louise.  We started out on a hike all together, and then my mom and I hiked an additional 6K farther to a Tea House located up in the mountains.  This was a vigorous hike!  While it wasn't technically as high as Sulphur Mountain, it felt like it because the trail was much steeper and more demanding in general.  We definitely stopped for water breaks and a chance to take some deep breaths!  I'm so glad we did it though!  It was so peaceful walking in the snow, and it didn't feel cold at all because of how hard we were working.  The tea house was really neat - we learned that the employees hike in and out with supplies every five days, staying overnight in a few small cabins also at the site.  We enjoyed a quick cup of tea/lemonade at the top and then rejoined Beth for a late lunch at the Fairmont Hotel at Lake Louise.  We tried poutine - a Canadian specialty of French fries, gravy, and melted cheese.  It was delicious.  Later, we shopped downtown Banff, filled ourselves on apps and wine in the room, and then pampered ourselves at the hotel spa.

 One section of our hotel.


 Johnston Canyon...closed but so pretty with the snow!


 A snowy and cloudy Lake Louise.  
I still couldn't get enough of the color of the water.


 A panoramic of Lake Louise


 A panoramic about 1/2 way to our teahouse destination - we even got above the clouds a bit!



A tea house in the mountains.

Day 4:  To start our last day, we tried out the massive buffet at the hotel.  It was a great breakfast, and we had a beautiful view of the mountains from our table.  Then, we gave ourselves a mini-tour of the "castle" - our fond nickname for the most amazing hotel I have ever seen, none-the-less stayed in.  We stopped to see Bow Falls and do a short hike along the river.  We shopped a little more in Banff before saying goodbye to the mountains and beginning our trip home.  We had a fun evening all together back in Edmonton enjoying pizza and some games.

 Another view of the hotel - like I said...castle!

 One view from our hotel room.





 The view of our hotel from Bow Falls.

Panoramic of Bow Falls.

Day 5:  Thanks to Beth and Chris for hosting us for part this day as well; they filled us up with a big breakfast in the morning, and it was really great to have time to chat and hang out with the kids.  I felt like I got to spend quality time with each of them - something that wouldn't have happened if Olivia, Grace, and Grady would have been along as then they'd just want to play together!  Beth dropped us off at the airport around 12, and the flight home was smooth.  I dropped my mom off in Northfield and shortly after left to make the trip to Decorah.  The rest of the family seemed to have survived without me, but it sure was nice to be welcomed home in the morning by the kids!



When we went to Banff back in 2015, it was the first time I'd ever seen the mountains.  They knocked me off my feet then, and the second time seeing them was no different.  I think I've become a little obsessed....I could stare at them forever (or even pictures of them!).  They are so majestic and awe-inspiring.  Once again, many thanks to my mom, Beth, and all who helped with the kids for making this trip possible.  It was fabulous.  

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Recap!! I think i just want to write: See Amanda's blog when I write mine:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echo... echo... echo!!! Have not been able to stop talking about this trip and the beautiful women I had a chance to share it with. Special shout out to the Hoden Family who were so gracious to extent their hospitality to another Grandma Linda.

    ReplyDelete