Background

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Ballet & Tap

This fall, Olivia and Grace both participated in ballet and tap classes through the Art Haus.  They both enjoyed their classes (separate ones), and it was fun to see them practicing their skills the last few minutes of class each Saturday when it came to pick-up time.  This was Grace's first year participating in this particular program, and I think she was the most "into-it" of the girls; Liv did just fine too, but she's just shyer about performance in general than Miss Show Queen Grace.  :)  A few weeks ago (yes, I'm behind in this post), was their dance concert.

Grace's consisted of showing off the various skills they'd learned and two short dances - one ballet, one tap.  Liv's was about the same with longer dances.  Gracie did a really awesome job - she'd come and give us high fives (the performance was just in their regular room with a lot of extra chairs all around for parents) after various parts, and she didn't seem to mind having all eyes on her! 

 
 
 
 
 

While Grace was all about it, Liv, definitely is not one for performance (hence only one picture of her below).  Art Haus is a pretty small place for a dance concert; Liv was definitely not feeling the over-crowdedness, and, unfortunately, spent most (basically all) her concert standing next to me.  (This was the second time she's done that actually.)  It's hard to know how "to parent" Liv when she goes through moments like this...this time, part of me sympathized and didn't want to force her to do anything, another part wanted to make her do it, and the other part, I have to admit, was a bit embarrassed and/or irritated.  This, however, I realize, is ridiculous because none of her performance was really about me and my job is just to support but not force and to be positive about what she does and positively constructive about how she can improve.  I felt sad too because she was sad; I think she really wanted to perform but just couldn't do it - this is what I gathered through the mumblings and tears after it was over.  Olivia's teacher was wonderful though and came up and gave her a great big hug telling her how great she always did in class and how she can try again at the next concert or can just keep coming to class if that's what she likes.  Another little girl in class (Olivia's dance partner who ended up dancing solo), also came up after and told her that she didn't dance the first three concerts either - I thought that was pretty sweet of her and very empathetic.  Seeing the sympathy a peer could extend made me realize that shyness is not something I should get irritated about; I might as well embrace it and help Olivia learn to overcome it as she's ready...I have a feeling this is what my mom might have had to do with me as well.

 You an see the shyness in Liv's posture...
especially the hand in mouth.

And, despite the performance issues (for lack of a better word), Olivia said she wants to sign up for the next session and so did Grace. This spring, the concert will officially be in an auditorium.  When I told Olivia this, I think she understood (as they danced in Luther's gym last spring) and was comforted by it.  She told me she liked it better when she wasn't so close to everyone (the audience, I'm assuming).  So, we'll give it a go, but my attitude this time is a bit different - no pressure, just have fun.  If Liv performs in the end, it'll just be an added bonus...and, I'm not too worried about Grace - pretty sure she'll have fun and perform!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment