Background

Friday, September 28, 2012

A Fun Weekend

Before this weekend officially starts, I figure I better get in a post about last weekend because it really was a blast!  It was a busy but memorable couple of days between visiting with family, running the 1/2 marathon, and celebrating Roger's 60th with a surprise party!

My mom, Thyme, and Merrell came down Friday night.  They arrived in time to have dinner with the Huinker and Hoden families.  The cousins, as always, were wild, playing hard until bedtime.  Saturday morning was an early one as we had to report for the race which started at 7:30.  My brother-in-law, Chris, and I ran the 1/2 marathon, and my two sister-in-laws, Beth and Tara, ran the 5K.  Here we are before the race - it was a frosty morning, about 35ish degrees.


While I certainly won't say I smiled the entire race, it was a ton of fun, and I'm really glad I did it.  Shortly after I had surgery for the melanoma last spring on my ankle, I heard about the race.  Pretty much instantaneously I became bound and determined that I would be running - if I couldn't be fully in control of my moles, at least I could be in control of my "in-shapeness," right?  If I'm going to be honest, the first three weeks of training (something that started 10 weeks after my surgery when my scar had had enough time to heal securely) really stunk.  But, as a pretty goal-oriented and stubborn person, I pushed through, and, after that, really started to enjoy the process.  Throughout the training process my race goals really changed - first, just finish without walking; second, 9 minute miles; and third, 8.30 miles.  My end result was 8 minute miles with a total time of 1 hour 44 minutes.  My legs paid for that the next couple of days, but in the end, it was definitely worth it.  I owe a lot of my time to my colleague and friend, Molly Holkesvik.  She was such a motivator to me - always positive and willing to run with me.  I'm going to do my best to pay her back for all her support by continuing to run with her as she trains for the "Goofy Challenge" held in January in Walt Disney World.  

Running has been so beneficial to me - besides obviously getting me in good physical shape, it's been a great stress outlet, and, overall, something that has helped me keep work in its correct place of priority behind family and self-health.  Next race = The Huinker Turkey Trot 2012!

 Thank you Mom, Merrell, and Thyme for being such great supporters!
Same goes to Pat, Roger, Beth, Tara, and the kiddos!

Saturday afternoon, Mark drove down to join the rest of the family.  Besides doing a little shopping downtown, we mostly relaxed and got ready for the big birthday bash.  The look on Roger's face when he walked into Oneota was truly priceless - and it was super impressive that such a large group of people really were able to keep the party a surprise!  Overall, it was a fun night filled with fabulous family and friends.  It was wonderful to get the opportunity to talk with so many people, and truly amazing how well the kids held up after such a long day.  (Special thanks to Kelsie and her friend Melanie for helping watch over the kids.)  Happy 60th to a fabulous grandpa! 

Truly surprised!

 The kids - all anxious to give Grandpa some love.
I love the second picture - outnumbered by the girls!

Best buds - Mya and Olivia

 
Having fun racing - Olivia, Mya, Grace, and Elliot Berland

1 comment:

  1. We're still talking about the fun time it was two weeks ago....thanks to all family and friends. And the Ipad gift just topped it off! Hats off to the runners in the family too.

    ReplyDelete