Background

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Swimming Lessons

We signed both our water babies up for two sessions of swimming lessons this summer. Grace was a part of the "Mommy and Me" lessons, and Olivia completed two sessions of the "Pre-School" level lessons (without Mommy in the water). There's never been any doubt in my mind that the girls love the water and are on their way to becoming "pool-rats" especially considering our proximity to the pool, but it was interesting to see how they acted in lessons with teachers who they didn't know.


Gracie did great (although we did have a couple of trantrums when it was time to get out!). She continued to be her adventurous and independent self - showing off by pouring water over her head and refusing to hold my hand even though she was neck deep in water. Gracie stressed a little each day because the slide wasn't on, but thankfully was pretty cooperative despite this very upsetting fact (in her world at least) and made great progress with kicking and blowing bubbles. I'm not sure what we'll do next year - she'll be a little too old to repeat but not quite old enough for pre-school without special permission.



Olivia made awesome progress from week one to week two. Week one I was at the pool sitting on a bench watching her. She did okay, but didn't do a lot of the things I knew she could like putting her face in, laying back and kicking, etc. She also always wanted to hold her teacher's hand and sit on her lap. Week one ended with a recommendation to repeat the pre-school level, no surprise. Week two I came up with various excuses to "leave" her at the pool with her friend Lilah's mom when really I was watching from the nearby park as I played with Grace. The difference was amazing - Olivia was way more out-going and not nearly as clingy to her teachers. She passed week two with flying colors and was so proud of herself! I was proud of her too. I think it's important that she learn to be comfortable in the water with someone besides Brian and me, and it was great to see her take directions from others and dive into new activities increasing her abilities in the process.

The slide on the last day of lessons was a huge hit.
I love the progression of facial expressions as they hit the water.
The last picture is the girls running to get back in line.

Sorry no pictures of Grace!

4 comments:

  1. shower time girls I will be there soon to check yourpussy's are clean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight. Visa ETA pour la Nouvelle-ZĂ©lande

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi was just seeing if you minded a comment. i like your website and the thme you picked is super. I will be back. indian visa online

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are particular dissertation websites on the internet should you acquire certainly introduced in your web page.Lifeguard Class


    ReplyDelete